Stabilizing Color Chemistry Temperature for Film Development

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stabilizing Color Chemistry Temperature for Film Development

Hey guys,

In college, I was fortunate enough to have access to a Jobo to heat my chemistry and keep it at a constant temperature. Now that I've graduated, I no longer have access to the jobo nor the money to buy a nice jobo myself.

Does anyone have some cheap solutions for keeping the chemistry at a constant temperature? Do you use hot plates? What do you use?

I loathe putting other people in charge of developing my film.

No votes yet

Re: Stabilizing Color Chemistry Temperature for Film Development

I hear that a water bath can be kept at a steady temperature if you add an aquarium heater to it. They aren't super expensive and fancy ones even let you select the temperature.

Interesting.... It can really get the water that hot? Sounds like you can cook fish too.

It has been done. The fishtank heater C41 and I imagine aquarium sous-vide is possible too.

http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00CelQ

I've had pretty consistent results in an esky/chiller box and getting the temp to 1c degree over required. The dev times for c41 are quite short and once the chemistry is up to temp matching the water in the esky/chiller I just go for it. In between agitatin of my dev tank I put it back into the chiller so ambient temps don't have much impact. I tried the fish tank heater but coudn't get it hot enough or able to maintain the correct temp