Slide film fans

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Slide film fans

I'd heard great things about slide film so I tried some and, honestly, I didn't see a whole lot of difference between slide and anything else I'd ever shot in color, except it was easier to scan. In fact, I was much more impressed with the Portra 160 (please never die Portra...I need you) that I had also experimented with at the same time.

Does anybody else agree that slide film is overrated or am I just blind? I have some more sitting in the fridge but I'm avoiding it like the plague because it's so expensive and time consuming to develop (it took my little lab like a week last time).

No votes yet

Re: Slide film fans

I went through a phase where I really loved slide film. It occurred during a time when you could get cheap slide processing through Fuji. :) There is also something about the way that a properly exposed slide looks to the naked eye. It can be just wow.

I do find a significant difference. I would always shoot provia 100 if it wasn't for its dynamic range limitations under strong lighting. I find Ektar an in between film. But if i could have only one film it would be portra 160. Glad i don't just have the one.

There can definitely be a difference, but it may also depend on which film you are using and maybe also what lens you are using among other variables. Try some Fuji Velvia 100F if you have a subject with vibrant colors. Then you need to view the slide via a projector or use a small single-slide viewer. There will be a 3D quality that I've not seen as easily achieved any other way. Of course that 3D look usually gets flattened partially or totally when you scan the image to have a digital copy.

Here is one example that I think looks nice scanned, but looks even better through the viewer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/manchestertriplets/7356491902/

Wow! The colors in that shot are AWESOME!

That's the kind of colors that really pop using Fuji velvia. I've been trying Fuji provia 400 for the higher ISO, but I like velvia better.

I do think slide film looks good and actually handled indoor and dark scenes surprisingly well when I used it. I used velvia, provia (I hate fuji film) and the kodak slide films. I still have some more I'm going to use under better lighting conditions because like I said it was a lot of indoors and night photography (trip to Vegas) I just wasn't as thrilled as I thought I'd be. In fact, the example that was posted from flickr looks really pink to me.

Give Velia 50 a try if you are looking for why there is a buzz around slide film: http://monochrome.me.uk/blog/p/1294
you cannot help loving those colours!

Slide film should be used in a different way. Sure, one can scan it and get a decent print. However, it's purpose is to be projected with a slide projector.
The developed slides should be installed in "slide mounts" and the sorted into magazines. A projection screen or a pure white wall can be used for viewing.
Slide projectors can be had quite inexpensively today.
That is when slides come alive, the 3D-effect comes out (depending on the motive and the lens used, and other factors).
Especially, if you work all week long on a computer, you may welcome the change back to the real analog world.
Try it out! Good Luck and have Fun!

I can't really put the the feeling I get in words, but you should try looking at medium format (or larger) slides on a light table. It is Amazing, scans cannot compare. It's completely different than looking at a scan or print for that matter.

I agree. Big slide are just beyond belief.

For me, the fun with using slide film is using an old slide projector and a darkened room to project the slides on a screen or a wall.

Re: henarlҊ51ک`

Why spam such a great forum?

Re: henarlҊ51ک`

Because real human beings are paid $0.05 a pop to post things from Poland and China. Unlike the 100+ attempted spam postings that occurred while typing this, real humans who spam are really hard to stop.